“La Fortaleza de Kuelap” was built on top of a high mountain and is the most important archaeological site in the Peruvian mountainous jungle.
Come and explore this fantastic fortress that was built in one of the most beautiful landscapes that combine the heights of the Andes and the Amazon Rainforest, creating an incomparable spectacle. It is possible that its name, Kuelap, derives from the deformation of the word “Cónlap”, which is the name of a village that inhabited that region according to Spanish colonial documents dated in 1591.
With our Full-Day Tour, you will get to the Kuelap ruins by cable car and a professional guide that will explain to you all the archeological background information that you need to appreciate this place fully.
|Duration: 1 Day
|Altitude: 3000 m / 9842.5 ft
|Season: All year
At the previously coordinated time, we will pick you up from your hotel to drive to the Kuelap ruins. We will drive for about 45 minutes to the archaeological zone of Macro observation where our guide will give you a historical explanation about the housing complex that was built here on the slope of a hill. Then we continue our journey to the town of Nuevo Tingo, where we will board the cable car system, which was the first to be built in Peru. We will ride in the cable cars for about 20-minutes for about 4 kilometers, then you arrive at Malca Pampa. Then you will walk for about 20 minutes, to enter Kuelap, in this place the guide will explain the historical importance of Kuelap. The visit will take 3 hours, you will visit different places such as ceremonial precincts, the main temple, circular rooms, etc. Return by cable car, then you will taste lunch, and return to the city of Chachapoyas where you will spend the night.
Important: The exact time schedule of the tour will be previously confirmed in a briefing
- Tourist transport.
- Transfer by cable car RT – Kuelap
- Kuelap Entrance Ticket
- Professional Tourism Guide.
- Tour to the Fortified Citadel of Kuelap.
- Lunch at a local restaurant.
- National or international flight tickets
- Services not detailed in the program
- Extra money & Tips
- Wear light and warm clothing
- Waterproof jacket or raining poncho
- Comfortable hiking shoes
- Sun Blocker and Repellent
What does the word Chachapoyas mean?
Chachapoyas comes from the native word sachapuyos which means ‘men of the mist’, attributing this name to it because of the dense mist that usually covers the hill of Puma Urco, which is located near of the city; although other authors affirm that it comes from Aymara: chacha «people» and phuyu.
How was the culture of the Chachapoyas?
The Chachapoyas culture was made up of small manors, that settled on the heights of the Utcubamba River. All these villages, having the same customs, were politically independent and ruled by a priestly class, led by a curaca.
What places to visit in Chachapoyas?
- Sonche Canyon
- Leo Caverns
- The Kuélap Fortress
- Gocta waterfall
- Sarcophagi of Karajía
- Yumbilla waterfall
- Mausoleums of Revash and others.
What does the word Kuelap mean?
Kuélap means ‘cold place’ because despite being in the Peruvian jungle, it has a temperate climate, dry during the day and very low temperatures at night.
Where is the city of Kuelap located and by whom?
Kuélap is located 3,000 meters above sea level in the El Tingo district, Luya province, 72 kilometers southwest of the city of Chachapoyas. Crisóstomo Nieto, judge of the First Instance of Chachapoyas, discovered it on January 31, 1843
What’s in Kuelap?
Kuelap is made up of two gigantic superimposed artificial platforms, on that the city was built that covers an area of approximately 450 hectares. Within its “walls”, Kuelap houses 505 houses, most of them circular.
Where is Kuelap and the cable cars located?
Today, currently, the Kuélap Cable Car is the first cable car system operating in Peru, connecting the Kuélap Fortress (pre-Inca archaeological center of the Chachapoyas culture) with the town of Nuevo Tingo in the jungle.
HOW MUCH DOES IT COST?
We have price alternatives that accommodate all budgets, prices per person, expressed in US Dollars.
Make your quotes and reservations by email [email protected], you can also communicate with one of our sales executives at the telephones detailed below, we will be happy to assist you.
Phone – WhatsApp: +51 969 787 221
Phone – WhatsApp: +51 986 994 218
HOW TO BOOK THE TOUR?
To start the reservation process, please send us the following information:
- Name and surname:
- Passport number:
- Date of Birth:
- Very important – We need the address and information about the hotel that you are staying at, in the city of Chachapoyas, to be able to pick you up at the time when the tour starts
To confirm reservations it is required to pay 50% in advance and the other 50% can be paid upon arrival at your destination.
- WESTER UNION
- TRANSFER TO OUR BANK ACCOUNT PERU
- All rates for our Peru Packages are expressed in US dollars (subject to currency exchange rates) and are priced per person
- The rates for Peruvians only include VAT
- All our rates are subject to availability and circumstances
- Children under 2 years and 11 months are considered INF (babies) and are not permitted on this tour
- Children from 3 to 10 years and 11 months are considered DCC (child) and thus eligible for special rates and obliged to share the room with their parents
- Children over 11 years old are considered adults
- Minors must travel with an identity document
- Rates do not apply to holidays, Easter, long weekends, national holidays, Christmas, or New Year