Come and learn about the Pre-Inca culture of Chachapoyas and their impressive funerary beliefs and customs by visiting the Sarcophagi of Karajia and the Quiocta Cave.
KARAJIA; the sarcophagi were found in 1985 by the Peruvian archaeologist Federico Kauffmann Doig, in the Karajía ravine in the Luya district. The Sarcophagi are made of large capsules made of clay mixed with sticks and stones.
KIOCTA CAVERNS; they are located at 2793 m.a.s.l. in Lamud, Amazonas, Peru. RDN No. 196 declared it Cultural Heritage of the Nation / INC-2003.234 the caves have a length of 600 meters, inside you can see cave paintings and remains of ceramics, utensils and bones.
With our Full-Day Tour, you will explore all about these astonishing Sarcophagi built right on top of an inaccessible mountain cliff and dive deep down into the caves of Quiocta.
|Duration: 1 Day||Altitude: 3500 m / 11482.9 ft|
|Difficulty: Easy||Season: All year|
We start our trip to the town of Cruz Pata, from there you will walk about 25 minutes to the funeral site of the Sarcophagi of Karajia, a set of funerary statues, located on an inaccessible rock cliff. Later our mobility will transfer us to Luya – Lamud, where we will enjoy a delicious typical lunch.
Continuing with our visit in the afternoon, you will go to enter the Quiocta caves, where you can see thousands of stalagmites and stalactites of different shapes and sizes. This place was used by the ancient Chachapoyas as a cemetery, which is why you will see skeletons scattered all over the place.
Return to Chachapoyas.
Important: The exact time schedule will be confirmed in a previous briefing
- Our Tours are in shared service.
- Our passengers must comply with the biosafety protocols established by our company.
- Children from 0 to 4 years old do not pay as long as they share the service with their parents, all expenses caused by the child will be covered by their parents.
- Tourist transport.
- Gocta Falls Entrance Ticket.
- Professional Tourism Guide.
- Gocta Waterfalls Tour.
- Typical Lunch.
- National or international air tickets.
- Services not detailed in the program.
- Extra money.
- Wear light and warm clothing.
- Waterproof in case it can rain.
- Comfortable hiking shoes.
- Sun Blocker and Repellent.
Karajía in the province of Luya, Department of Amazonas.
History of Sarcophagi of Karajia.
The Sarcophagi of Karajía are an important vestige of pre-Inca tombs whose construction, attributed to the so-called Chachapoyas culture. These sarcophagi are located in the district of Conila, in the province of Luya, in the Amazon region at about 2,600 meters above sea level.
What is inside the sarcophagi of karajia?
The sarcophagi are made of large anthropomorphic capsules made of clay mixed with small branches and stones, applied on a structure of reeds or branches. Only the head and part of the chest are compact.
How was made the Sarcophagi of Karajía?
These coffins were made with a mixture of clay, small branches and stones, all applied on a structure made of reeds. The head and chest are the only parts of the sarcophagus that have a compact texture, fully attached to the hill.
How to get to the quiocta caverns?
How to get there – Tourist circuit to Quiocta
The Quiocta cavern is located in the Lamud District, Luya province, Amazonas Department, Peru. Once in the town of Lamud, the path to the cave is 30 minutes by car plus 15 minutes of walking.
The Quiocta caves, discovered at the beginning of the century by settlers who collected orchids. This cave, which is located below a mountain that is part of the Andes Mountains, characterized by excessive soil moisture. Quiocta stretches 545 meters into the earth.
At what altitude is the Quiocta cavern?
The Quiocta cavern is located at 2790 meters above sea level.
What is the best season to visit the Caverna de Quiocta?
The best season to visit is during the months of May to October, because there is not much rain and the road is quite accessible.
What is the difference between sarcophagi and mausoleums?
The mausoleums: Unlike the sarcophagi of karajía, these characterized by being collective enclosures, thus they test the bone residues that they still contain.
HOW MUCH DOES IT COST?
We have price alternatives that accommodate all budgets, prices per person, expressed in US Dollars.
Make your quotes and reservations by email [email protected], you can also communicate with one of our sales executives at the telephones detailed below, we will be happy to assist you.
Phone – WhatsApp: +51 969 787 221
Phone – WhatsApp: +51 986 994 218
HOW TO BOOK THE TOUR?
To start the reservation process, please send us the following information:
- Name and surname:
- Passport number:
- Date of Birth:
- Very important – We need the address and information about the hotel that you are staying at, in the city of Chachapoyas, to be able to pick you up at the time when the tour starts
To confirm reservations it is required to pay 50% in advance and the other 50% can be paid upon arrival at your destination.
- WESTER UNION
- TRANSFER TO OUR BANK ACCOUNT PERU
- All rates for our Peru Packages are expressed in US dollars (subject to currency exchange rates) and are priced per person
- The rates for Peruvians only include VAT
- All our rates are subject to availability and circumstances
- Children under 2 years and 11 months are considered INF (babies) and are not permitted on this tour
- Children from 3 to 10 years and 11 months are considered DCC (child) and thus eligible for special rates and obliged to share the room with their parents
- Children over 11 years old are considered adults
- Minors must travel with an identity document
- Rates do not apply to holidays, Easter, long weekends, national holidays, Christmas, or New Year