Explore the most important Inca ruin of the central coast of Peru, the Pachacamac Sanctuary. It was one of the most significant oracles and pilgrimage places during the ancient Inca Empire.
This ruin belonged to the Wari culture and was one of the principal worship and ceremonial centers to venerate the god Wiracocha. Let yourself be captivated by the richness of the prehispanic Peruvian Culture. With our Dreamy Tours, you will be able to learn and marvel at some of the most impressive ruins on the Peruvian coast!
|Duration: 1 Day||Altitude: 154 m / 505.3 ft|
|Difficulty: Easy||Season: All year|
We will pick you up from your hotel at the previously coordinated time in order to drive to the Pachacamac Sanctuary.
Once we arrive at the archeological site, our guide will lead you through the most important structures explaining to you all the necessary background information in order to be able to truly appreciate this place. You will have an incredible panoramic view of the whole complex while you will learn about the creator of the divine universe according to the cosmology of the Andean people.
The citadel includes temples, pyramids, and palaces. Out of which you will see the Temple of the Sun, the Temple of Pachacamac, “Acllahuasi” or the Palace of the virgins of the sun, amongst others. All these places were considered sacred and played an important role in the mystical world.
Barranco & Viewpoints
After the visit, we will return and make a stop in the neighborhood of Barranco. This is one of the most traditional and at the same time bohemian districts of Lima, where we will visit the Bridge of the Sighs.
After this visit, we will continue our journey by visiting “el Salto del Fraile” and “Villa Marsh” where we will enjoy some of the most spectacular panoramic views over the Pacific Ocean.
These gorgeous views will be the last stop on our tour before we will return to Lima where we will drop you off at your hotel so that you can relax and have a well-merited lunch.
- Transfer from your hotel to the ruins.
- Tourist transport.
- Professional bilingual guide (Spanish/English).
TOUR DOES NOT INCLUDE
- Services not detailed in the Program
- Personal expenses
- Tips & Extra Money
Pachacamac means the soul of the earth, it was the oldest pre-Hispanic oracle built with adobe bricks. The pyramids of this sanctuary inhabit temples, a gigantic pilgrimage plaza, the Aclla Wasi, and the Pachacamac site museum. Additionally, it was also the most important Huaca of the Andean world, it was built on the right bank of the Lurin valley more than 1800 years ago, near the Pacific Ocean in front of homogeneous islands.
Considered a “creator” in the cultures of Lima, the Chancay, Ichma, Wari, and Chincha cultures sent thousands of pilgrims to come worship and offer tribute at this place.
History of the Pachacamac Sanctuary
Pachacamac was the main sanctuary of the central coast for more than a thousand years. Its temples were visited by crowds of pilgrims on the occasion of the great Andean rituals because Pachacamac was a successful oracle capable of predicting the future and controlling the movements of the earth. Inhabitants of all the Andes also came to the Pachacamac sanctuary in search of solutions to their problems or answers to their doubts.
What does the word Pachacamac mean?
The word Pachacamac means “soul of the earth, the one who animates the world.” The ancient Peruvians believed that a single movement of his head would cause earthquakes. He could not be looked directly in the eye, and even his priests entered the compound from behind. The cult of Pachacamac was the center of all coastal religions.
Where is the Pachacamac Sanctuary located?
The sanctuary is located in the Lurín valley, which constitutes the territorial framework of its location and on whose margins a series of towns have settled, taking advantage of its waters, for three thousand years. The first occupations date from the Archaic period (5000 BC); later, in the Formative period (1800 BC – 200 BC), Mina Perdida, Cardal and Manchay stand out.
Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday from 9:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m.
Did you know that the site has a visiting circuit that begins at the museum and continues with the following attractions?
- Set of adobes Lima – Adobitos
- Pyramid with ramp N ° 1
- North-South Street
- East-West Street
- Old Temple
- Painted Temple
- Sun Temple
- Pilgrims Square
Throughout the circuit, we can identify three sectors delimited by old walls such as:
- The ceremonial area includes the enclosures that are within the first wall. These are the Temple of the Sun, the Painted Temple, the Old Temple and the area called “the quadrangle”.
- The administrative area, located outside the first wall and within the second wall. It consists mainly of 16 pyramids with ramps and other administrative structures, including warehouses, squares, warehouses, etc. In this area are also the Plaza de los Peregrinos, the Taurichumpi Building and the Acllawasi.
- The area that encloses the third wall, with a simpler architecture, probably corresponds to the area of domestic use, and apparently it was used by the pilgrims who came to the area.
HOW MUCH DOES IT COST?
We have price alternatives that accommodate all budgets, prices per person, expressed in US Dollars.
Make your quotes and reservations by email [email protected], you can also communicate with one of our sales executives at the telephones detailed below, we will be happy to assist you.
Phone – WhatsApp: +51 969 787 221
Phone – WhatsApp: +51 986 994 218
HOW TO BOOK THE TOUR?
To start the reservation process, please send us the following information:
- Name and surname:
- Passport number:
- Date of Birth:
- Very important – We need the address and information about the hotel that you are staying at, in the city of Lima, to be able to pick you up at the time when the tour starts
To confirm reservations it is required to pay 50% in advance and the other 50% can be paid upon arrival at your destination.
- WESTER UNION
- TRANSFER TO OUR BANK ACCOUNT PERU
- All rates for our Peru Packages are expressed in US dollars (subject to currency exchange rates) and are priced per person
- The rates for Peruvians only include VAT
- All our rates are subject to availability and circumstances
- Children under 2 years and 11 months are considered INF (babies) and are not permitted on this tour
- Children from 3 to 10 years and 11 months are considered DCC (child) and thus eligible for special rates and obliged to share the room with their parents
- Children over 11 years old are considered adults
- Minors must travel with an identity document
- Rates do not apply to holidays, Easter, long weekends, national holidays, Christmas, or New Year